Tuesday 15 January 2008

West Brom 2 - 2 Charlton AET (4 - 3 on Pens)

Well it's only the Cup. We can now concentrate on the League. It was not as important as three points. Watford on Saturday is much more important.

All of the above are true, but frankly I am struggling to really believe it. Not because the Cup is important to me, and not just because I wanted an opportunity to play my father-in-law's team. The disappointment for me is that I really didn't care if we won or lost in the first game. I wanted a good result tonight as it would have helped to build confidence ahead of a massive game on Saturday. This was also an opportunity for us to show that our draw in the first game was not a good result for a West Brom reserve team. To show that we had found a formation that would enable us to pick up the necessary points to challenge for an automatic promotion place. In the end we got the worst of both worlds. An extra midweek game away from home, extra time, and the emotional effects of losing a game on penalties. Varney missing the target was a little disappointing, but I'd rather that he miss one on this game than on Saturday.

To be fair, the performance was good. We showed great character coming back from two goals down. We created several chances and should have won the game based on the number of chances we created. Much like Saturday where we could have scored six or seven it all bodes well for the forth coming games, but I would have gone into Saturday's six pointer at Vicarage Road with a lot more confidence had we managed a win. I suspect that the team would have done so too. Still, we are where we are, and the league is the only thing that really matters. So, it's Watford on Saturday, and we are still unbeaten in two. And if you ask Jose Mourinho we didn't actually lose this one either.

1 comment:

ChicagoAddick said...

Welcome Kings Hill to CAFC Blog World. Keep up the great start. I know Kings Hill very, very well.