Monday 5 April 2010

Next... Carlisle at home

I'm not going to do much of a preview of this game. I've only just finished writing the report on the MK Dons game and having been at football on Easter Saturday, coming home and demanding to watch Dr Who then going off to another game today I really need to put some time in with 'the family'.

Needless to say I am going to mention 4-5-1. With Forster coming in and with Bailey and Burton likely to be out injured again I'm not going to demand we switch the formation, but I would expect to see us finish with Shelvey and Sodje (A) on the pitch as they made us look much stronger in the latter stages of the game on Saturday.

In fact it goes without saying that this is a game we really should win. I'm not being overly demanding, just thinking that if we are going to finish top two you have to expect to beat these kind of sides at home. If we assume that we do manage to win today the other teams results will be very interesting.

Leeds have a tricky game at Yeovil, and are on a wretched run of form, Millwall go to Colchester and Swindon entertain Tranmere who beat Norwich 3-1 on Friday (all be it Norwich were down to ten men). Thus it is likely (in my view) that if we win we will move above at least one of those three.

It's a big ask, but if we can just put together a run we can take second place. My Dad and I decided that any of the four chasing the second place that can win five of their last seven they will go up. I will at some point share some statistics on the subject, but both the current table and the previous ten seasons suggest that five wins will be enough. Interestingly the playoffs probably only need two wins, three to be sure, but either way we need to win today and then have a look at how the others do.

It's getting interesting isn't it?

Up the Addicks!

No comments: