Saturday 1 March 2008

Sheffield United 0 - 2 Charlton

Well, I never saw that coming. I am both pleased and surprised by this result. With Bristol City and West Brom winning at home and Watford taking a point at Burnley it makes the top two look only slightly closer, but with Ipswich drawing at Southampton it makes our play off rivals look a little further behind.

From what I heard on the radio (clearly I can get BBC Kent) we did all the attacking in the first half. Unfortunately I had didn't listen to much of the second half as my wife went out and left me looking after our son who was in the middle of a Power Rangers marathon. We kept a clean sheet and scored another goal though, so I will assume that we gave a decent showing in the second half too.

The switch back to 4-5-1 that I expected showed again that we can be very hard to break down, and if we are patient the chances will come sooner or later. I am at the point now that I will take just about any win and if we need to snatch a goal from a set piece or two (I'm including long throw ins) then so be it.

We now see Stoke as the target who are seven points away, but as already mentioned the current top three all have to play each other and West Brom have to come to The Valley, as do Bristol City in three days time. That game now becomes massive. Following on from my suggestion that we would know today what we are fighting for, I think we are still chasing a top two finish. I still think it is a mammoth task, but if Stoke fail to beat QPR tomorrow a win on Tuesday could well leave us six points off the top and four points off second place.

Pass me some more straws would you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KHA - I am so glad you used that first line, because its exactly what I was feeling. I'd written off that automatic, but I'm just starting to wonder again..

Pembury Addick